Friday, February 17, 2012

Dressing my kids

So I posted a while back about planning to make some clothes for my kids during Kids Clothing Week back in October. While I still need to post all the things I made then, I wanted to show these off first. I bought these plain long sleeved onesies (that were not white! Miracle find!) with the intention of embroidering patches for them. My sister-in-law had done something similar for my nephew, and it was adorable. I began by choosing some patterns from my Sublime Stitching collection (confession: I have all the books and about 1/4 of the available iron-on transfers), and some from Doodle Stitching. (if you embroider, this book is a must-have!).
I combed through them looking for cute but not cutesie designs. I had four onesies for each babe, and I wanted to use as many as possible. I also tried to 'coordinate' the designs/colors I chose with the colors of the onesies. I also took into account our interests - hubby used to play the drums so I had to go with the drum design.
embroidered onesies

Both the drum and the rocket ship are Sublime Stitching designs.

embroidered onesies

I wanted something to coordinate withe Ellie's brown onesie, so I had to use the adorable hedgehog. (Hedgehog is Sublime Stitching and birds from Doodle Stitching)

embroidered onesies

These two are my favorites - both from Doodle Stitching. I just love that cow!

Instead of embroidering directly onto the onesies (which I worried about because of the potential of stretching), I embroidered onto plain Kona cotton. I was planning to back each with interfacing, but decided to try folding the extra material behind the design and ironing it flat. It worked! I've found that interfacing can wrinkle when washed repeatedly, so I thought this might be a better fix. It has held up just fine.

I'm already trying to find some cute, plain, non white onesies to stitch up for summer!

2 comments:

  1. Very cute onesies, you did great! Your babies are soo cute too :)!
    I may be embroidering a couple of onesies this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've seen the hedgehog! Love it!

    ReplyDelete