Monday, September 03, 2007

Strange, but true

Picture this: It is 8:15 Wednesday morning. I'm standing at my Elmo (it's this really cool thing like a combo digital camera and overhead - I *love* it), going over morning work, when I hear a snap. My students hear it too. I can tell immediately that my heel has snapped off. I give them an assignment, hobble over to my desk, and examine the evidence.



It is not pretty. I happen to have a hammer in my room, so I attempt to hammer back on the heel. I am unsuccessful. I go to tell the other 4th grade teachers my story, and amazingly enough, one of them happens to have an extra pair of shoes at school. Whew! I don't have to walk to lunch barefoot. Much fun is made on my behalf, and I go home barefoot, determined to find a shoe repair place, since these were my favorite shoes, of course.

Thursday morning. 7:30. I'm walking out of my room to go make a copy, when something on my shoe feels funny. No way. I've broken the heel on ANOTHER pair of shoes, a pair I specifically picked out of my closet, thinking "there's no way I can break this heel" (these are a pair with a large, clunky heel, not a little kitten heel like the ones I was wearing on Wednesday). Stand in the hall on duty with heel sort-of attached.
Attempt to fix with Elmer's Glue once class starts. Elmer's doesn't help. That same teacher, who doesn't have an extra pair of shoes today, has a glue gun. Glue heel on, but don't wear around my room, for fear of loosening it. Put on to wear to lunch. Seems to be working well! Leave recess, standing in line at the water fountain with my class. Turn to go upstairs, something feels funny. NO WAY IN HELL. Broke my other *&*^%#$#^*& heel. The other shoe. Carry it upstairs, and fix other shoe with glue gun. Wear to dismissal. Notice upon entering the building that my shoe is crumbling as I walk.


Am laughingstock of school. I've never broken a heel before in my life. Three in two days? What are the odds?

Worse news? Since it's now "fall," I can't find brown sandals anywhere. Unfortunately, it'll be 90 here for about another month. Hate wearing closed-toe shoes when it's hot. Considering going barefoot to school tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. dude your shoes are crumbling! i'm sorry both of your shoes fell apart. it makes a great story though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know the whole time I was reading this all I could think was "You stand around in heels and teach little kids all day?? Insanity!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're still selling sandals here in NYC. Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very odd! Good luck finding something new...I, too, am seeking a brown sandal-like shoe for a wedding this month and can't find squat. Let me know if you come across something online!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WEIRD. Time to hunt online?! Clearance shoes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. That's just not right. But at least you're going to get some new shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what are the odds? But try Zappos--they currently have 1900+ pairs of sandals to choose from (and free shipping!) I love Zappos!!

    http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722000279/sn/1/page/1.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee (I can't stop giggling), that is awfully strange! Hope you're able to find shoes to your liking - who knows, maybe you'll find some clearance for fall stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! Is there some gremlin in your classroom that is causing all your shoes to break?

    I hope you find something to replace them soon. I hate wearing closed shoes until I absolutely have to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:59 AM

    zappos.com
    shoes.com
    etc etc etc...
    macy's clearance sale.
    jcpenney sale
    etc etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just the laugh I needed today--thanks! ;-) And good luck finding open toed shoes. I was looking for my MIL last week and found nuthin.

    ReplyDelete